You've optimized your campaigns and are ready to strategically exclude those that bring in low engagement. This can easily be done using our publisher tool!
This is a powerful tool that can make or break the performance of your campaign. Blocking too many publishers or sources can cause a large enough decrease in traffic and halt your performance. We recommend adjusting section CPCs before excluding a section or publisher completely.
Using this tool will allow you to filter publishers and sections in three ways:
By the account as a whole
Log in to your account and select “By Publisher” or “By Section” from the drop-down menu.
You can narrow in on publishers for a specific campaign in two ways:Click on the campaign name first and then select “By Publisher” or “By Section” from the drop-down menu. From here, you can see all of the publishers that have recommended your content for that specific campaign.
Open up the campaign’s settings by clicking on the pencil icon next to the campaign name. Enter the name of the publisher you want to remove in the “Exclude Publishers and Sections” box.
Aside from blocking, adjusting the CPC can maintain your reach while also allowing you to lower the cost for sections that are underperforming. Learn more about this here.
Excluding Publishers in Bulk
Click into a specific campaign when viewing publishers and click the 'Export' button.
An excel sheet will populate displaying the Section and Publisher ID of each site that has promoted your content. Create a separate sheet and copy over those you wish to exclude; save the updated sheet. *You will only need to copy over the Source IDs. All other columns can be deleted.*
Click on 'Import' and select 'Excludes' and upload the file.
Success! If you run into any errors or have questions about this feature, feel free to reach out to our support team who'll be happy to guide you along. You can also read more on how to integrate your Outbrain data with Google Analytics, to gain deeper insight into your content strategy efforts.
Important to Note
- Adjust the CPC of a specific section before you exclude it completely from a campaign
- A publisher will show as partially excluded if certain campaigns have excluded it or certain sections are removed.
- You can block up to 30 publishers account-wide and 100 sections per campaign.
- Excluding too many publishers/sections may limit your potential reach and have a negative impact on your performance.
- If you choose to block a top performing publisher, we recommend increasing your CPC to compensate for the loss source of traffic.
- Bulk exclusion only works if the file is formatted to a .csv.
- Keep the header row intact to avoid any errors when excluding in bulk.