You have optimized your campaigns and narrowed in on the sections and publishers that have brought in the most engaged traffic. Now, it's time to strategically exclude those that consume a majority of your budget but do not bring in a high return.
Learn more in our walk-through video below.
This is a powerful tool that can make or break the performance of your campaign. Blocking too many publishers or sources can cause a large enough decrease in traffic and halt your performance. We recommend blocking by section per campaign first to accurately monitor which sources are the least effective for your goals. Only block publishers on the account level as a last resort and only if the site is not driving results for any of your campaigns.
Using this tool will allow you to narrow in on Publishers and Sections by campaign. or by the account as a whole or in bulk.
Log in to your account and select “By Publisher” or “By Section” from the drop down menu.
After adjusting the metrics and date range, a list of relevant publishers will be displayed beneath the data visualizer. Click the button next to the publisher name to exclude them from your entire account.
You can narrow in on publishers for a specific campaign in two ways:
1) Click on the campaign name first and then select “By Publisher” or “By Section” from the drop-down menu. From here, you can see all of the publishers that have recommended your content for that specific campaign.
2) Open up the campaign’s settings by clicking on the pencil icon next to the campaign name. Enter the name of the publisher you want to remove in the “Exclude Publishers and Sections” box.
Excluding Publishers in Bulk
Break out the data by publisher or section for a specific campaign and click the Export button.
An excel sheet will populate displaying the Section and Publisher ID of each site that has promoted your content. Create a separate sheet and copy over those you wish to exclude; save the updated sheet. *You will only need to copy over the Source IDs. All other columns can be deleted.*
Click on the Bulk Exclude button in your dashboard and upload the file.
Success! If you run into any errors or have questions about this feature, feel free to reach out to our support team and we'll be happy to guide you along. You can also read more on how to integrate your Outbrain data with Google Analytics, to gain deeper insight into your content strategy efforts.
Important to Note
- A publisher will show as partially excluded if certain campaigns have excluded it or certain sections are removed.
- You can block up to 30 publishers account-wide and 100 sections per campaign
- Excluding too many publishers/sections may limit your potential reach and have a negative impact on your performance.
- If you choose to block a top performing publisher, we recommend increasing your CPC to compensate for the loss source of traffic.
- Bulk exclusion only works if the file is formatted to a .csv
- Keep the header row intact to avoid any errors when bulk excluding